Thursday, October 4, 2012

Review: Vallejo Decal Fix + Medium with Tutorial


A couple of weeks ago, I received my order from Maelstrom Games. Vallejo's Decal Medium and Decal Fix.

I've always had a problem with my decals.


The surface would never be quite even and was always shiny. It was so obvious to a casual looker that I had applied a decal on my minis. There was even a stage where the decals I had applied previously simply slipped off.

What a waste of decals!

Decal Fix lets the decal apply securely to the mini, whilst Decal Medium gets rid of that uneven surface or sheen. At least that's what is supposed to happen.
On to the review/tutorial!:


Cut your decal out of the sheet, making sure that stick close to the edges. With rounded surfaces like Space Marine shoulder pads, compensate for the uneven surface by cutting a 'V' as shown. 


This isn't mandatory, but it is recommended. Apply a thin coat of gloss varnish so that you'll get a nice smooth surface. Wait for it to dry!


Apply the Decal Fix onto the surface. Dunk the decal in water as usual (GW provides us with basic instructions on the back of their decal sheets). Slowly and carefully ease the decal off the sheet with the help of a brush, onto the surface of the mini. 


Once it's dried, apply a thin coat of Decal Medium. 

Once it's dried, it could be a little shiny but can be easily solved by a matte varnish, which you would do normally anyway. 

So what do I think? These are amazing! I'm really pleased by the way it's turned out. It looks like it's been painted on, which was exactly what I was aiming for. There's a tonne in each bottle which will last you a few armies probably. 

Great value, great results. 

Final verdict: 

I am definitely glad I made the purchase, and has reinforced my affection of Vallejo even more!




5 comments:

  1. Excellent. Thanks! I forgot about the gloss varnish first thing on my Land Raider. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you read the instructions from Vallejo you are doing it in reverse order. First apply medium, then decal, then more medium. When dry, apply the fix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US/model-paints/auxiliary-products/3

      Delete
  3. You don't need to use medium do you ive used decal fix on its own then seals it with clear. Is that ok ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJE58XWVKak

    this video helps to explain the process of using decal fix and decal medium

    ReplyDelete